Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Dress & Costume Reference
Berg Fashion Library
Includes Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion, Berg fashion eBooks, color images from noted costume collections, and fashion reference material.
Major Image Database
Find images of actual garments, jewelry, and other dress accessories in museum collections as well as depictions of garments in sculpture, paintings, prints, and other two- and three-dimensional works of art.
More than two million images support research in a wide variety of subjects. Includes collections specific to Smith College developed to meet teaching needs in the arts, humanities, and sciences, as well as images of works from the Smith College Museum. Using Artstor
provides information about searching as well as using images in papers and presentations.
Books & Catalogs
Helpful subject begins with phrases for finding books and catalogs about the history of dress and fashion are:
- Clothing and dress -- [country or region name]
eg., Clothing and dress -- Greece
- [Cultural or ethnic group] -- Social life and customs
eg., Inuit -- Arctic regions -- Social life and customs
- Culture or ethnic group -- Clothing
Yoruba (African people) -- Clothing
Indians of South America -- Clothing -- Peru
- Women's clothing | Men's clothing | Children's clothing
- [garment names], eg., Kimonos | Underwear | Hats | Footwear | Shoes | Cloaks
eg., Fur | Fur garments
- Costume -- History -- [time period], eg. To 500
Helpful subject keywords for finding heavily illustrated books and catalogs in all subjects are:
- Exhibitions | In art | Illustrations | Photographs | Pictorial Works | Portraits
Get help from Nimisha Bhat
Discover: Start here for books, articles & more.
- Use "Login for full access" at the top of the screen and enter your Smith login.
Discover Advanced Search includes limiting options.
Watch a video tutorial on how to do an advanced search using the Libraries' Discover search box.