Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Useful subject begins with headings for library catalog searches are:
- Japan--History--To 1868
- Japan--History--Heian period, 794-1185
- Japan--History--Tokugawa Period, 1600-1868 BUT - Notice Tokugawa period as a subdivision is only used for History
- Japanese Literature--Edo Period, 1600-1868
- Japanese poetry--1185-1600--History and Criticism
- Japanese poetry--794-1185--Translations into English
- Authors, Japanese --1185-1600
- [author's name]
- Theater -- Japan
- [genre], for example
NO | Kabuki
- Art, Japanese--Edo Period, 1600-1866
- Architecture--Japan--Edo Period, 1600-1866
- Tokyo (Japan)--In art
- Color prints, Japanese
- Sotatsu-Korin School
- [artists' names], for example:
When in doubt, use the subject keywords instead of subject begins with to find the right subject heading, then click on the subject heading to get others in the same subject.
Five College Library Catalog
Provides access to the combined library holdings of Smith, Amherst, Hampshire, and Mount Holyoke Colleges, and the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- Use the subject begins with terms cited in the left column
- Search for publications cited in bibliographies and notes to see if they're available in the Five Colleges
WorldCat is universal in subject scope and includes records for millions items held in thousands of libraries throughout the United States and Europe. It is an excellent source for developing a bibliography and verifying citations.
- Use subject terms and authors identified through your Five college Library Catalog search to find more books, catalogs, and other monographs
Getting Books & Media not at Smith
More Books & Catalogs
A selection of links to major library catalogs, full text digital collections, and other databases.