Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Smith College Copyright Policies
Copyright Guidelines for Required Course Material
- HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service: For items under copyright available through HathiTrust, we cannot lend out the physical book; the electronic version essentially replaces the print version for the time being. Students can check out the book electronically for 1 hour (renewable), much like a physical book on reserve. If a single chapter is needed, please request a chapter scan instead.
- Chapter scans: we can scan up to 10% or 1 chapter of a given book, whichever is greater. Exceptions can be made in special circumstances on a case-by-case basis, such as if the book is out of print and the rights holder has granted permission.
- Ebooks with a single-user license: as with print books, we can scan up to 10% or 1 chapter of the text to allow students simultaneous access.
- When processing book requests, we will order an ebook if one is available. If a library ebook license cannot be purchased, we are limited to scanning selections.
Please use the reserves request form for all required material needs, including books, ebooks, articles and chapters. We can often find alternate ways of accessing materials, and this also helps us make sure to renew licenses for needed resources that might otherwise expire.
Librarians’ Advice for Educators
Scanning Time Frame
- Please allow 1 week for scanning and streaming services at the start of a new semester.
- All requests must include complete bibliographic information or a permalink to a catalog record.
- If a request is time-sensitive, please indicate the date it is needed by when submitting the request.
General Copyright and Fair Use Guidelines