A primary source is a record of an event, an occurrence, or a time period produced by a participant or observer at the time. Typically, primary sources include:
- unique documents or manuscripts (letters, diaries, journals, writings, speeches, photographs, scrapbooks, etc.)
- historic records of an organization (correspondence, memoranda, minutes, annual reports, etc.).
- government documents & maps
- artwork & artifacts
- music & audiovisual materials (film, audio and video tape)
- electronic computer files