Adobe Digital Editions
To borrow library ebooks you must have an Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) account. Download this free software for Apple, PC, and Windows-running devices at http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions
You must set up ADE on your own computer, not shared Library computers. Once set up, your account can be synched to, and ebooks moved, between multiple devices.
BlueFire for iPhone, iPad, Android
Borrowing library ebooks on a mobile device requires BlueFire Reader synched to your Adobe Digital Editions account.
1. If you don't have one yet,create an ADE account on your computer. Allow for multiple devices.
2. Download Bluefire Reader in the App Store or Google Play to your mobile device. As prompted, authorize for use with Adobe ebooks using your ADE account.
3. When downloading your ebook, follow prompts to open in Bluefire.
If you do not have a Smith or Five College Network ID, you may access EBL books on the following computers:
- Neilson: Pub1, Pub2, Pub3
- Hillyer: H01, H02
- Josten: J05, J06
- Young: Y01
Click on the link to the ebook, then select Smith College.
All books accessed this way will be on a shared bookshelf.
Find, Read, Print & Download EBL Books
EBL - Ebook Library (2005+)
A very large collection of ebooks, mostly scholarly, spanning the humanities, social sciences, and sciences.
To Find Ebooks: (Requires login with your Smith or other Five College Network ID. If you do not have a Smith or Five College Network ID, see Public Users in the left sidebar on this page.)
- Five College Library Catalog - Ebooks are included in the online catalog. To limit searching to ebooks, use "Advanced" search and change "Location" to your home campus, and "Format" to "Ebooks."
- EBL - Search directly within the EBL interface.
To Read & Print Online:
- Read online in the EBL screen, click "Ebook Full Text."
- Print up to 20% of an ebook's content. Click the "Print" button at the top.
- Copy and paste up to 5% of an ebook’s content. Click the "Copy" button at the top.
Reading Ebooks on Library Computers:
When using public computers on campus you are NOT able to download, however you can still read online and print.
To Borrow/Download for Offline Use on your Computer:
Requires Adobe Digital Editions (see left sidebar on this page).
- Click the Download button on the vertical menu bar.
- Follow prompts on the left. Loan period is 7 days, after which the file will self-destruct. Format is pdf; sometimes e-pub is an option too. Click the Download button.
- In the next pop-up, specify Adobe Digital Editions, then click OK. Your ADE window should open with the book in it. If not, open ADE to find the book. The actual pdf file will be stored in your computer.
To Borrow/Download for Offline Use on your Mobile Device:
See "Mobile Devices" in the left sidebar on this page.
Export citations to RefWorks and Zotero
In RefWorks: for a single title, use the Cite this Book link on the book's initial EBL page. For a group of books, create a Collection (described below), then click Manage Collections, then Cite Collections. In Zotero: click the book icon in the browser bar at the top of the page (the icon will be on the far right of where a website address appears). The citation will save automatically in Zotero.
The Bookshelf link in the upper menu bar displays all the books you've accessed. Use the My Collections link to create lists of books. Use Manage Collections to email lists or export them to a spreadsheet
While reading a book, click the Notes tab in the vertical menu bar. View your notes via the Bookmarks button on your Bookshelf.
TLR: Libraries Teaching, Learning & Research Group